Comprehensibly IB

The name at the outset seems like an oxymoron. The International Baccalaureate program is so all-encompassing and complicated that I don't necessarily think it can be qualified as "Comprehensible". I need a 3-day workshop just to pin down all the acronyms; but, I digress.

As I dug through the amazing resources by Tina Hargaden, Martina Bex and The Comprehensible ClassroomMis Clases Locas and more, I realized that I was also searching for a resource that blended Comprehensible Input with the Middle Years International Baccalaureate program and I wasn't finding what I needed. I wanted a place to help me with units and Criterions A and B and C and D and for someone to explain to me what exactly an ATL is and how I can meld it into my World Language classroom.  This goal of this blog is to meld the worlds of CI and IB into a place where resources can be found by someone who is currently using them in real time (well, I mean, I guess it's summer so perhaps in the fall it will be in real time) and where we can problem solve and share resources.

I have to start by saying that I am not an expert at IB. I have a lot to learn and, like I said, we have a complicated, acronym-based relationship. I just finished my second year teaching Spanish 1 at an IB school and I feel like I still learn new things about the program every week. I am also not an expert with CI but I do have 5 years of CI experience that have taught me a lot. I am passionate about teaching the language this way. I believe it is rigorous, important and produces amazing fluency results in our sweet little darlings.

In the 2019-2020 school year, I am going to be starting my Spanish 1 classes using A Natural Approach to Teaching by Tina Hargaden and Ben Slavic. Over this summer, I will share rubrics adapted for IB/MYP Phase 4. I'll be sharing other resources that I have designed myself and other beneficial resources I find along the way.

Hasta pronto,

Señora K

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 3 sub plan ideas

Second Language Acquisition Lesson

Planning out week 1