Stepping Stones: Beyond Year One by Tina Hargaden

Again, if you are not a member of CI Liftoff on Facebook, you are missing out!





I have been busy this summer. Mostly with my kid, but also doing tons of reading; like, more reading than I have done since graduate school and I can't stop. Seriously... I can't stop. But! That is because the material is so exciting 😀


Tina Hargaden from "A Natural Approach to the Year" (lovingly called ANATTY) came out with a new book called "Stepping Stones: Beyond Year One" (lovingly called SSBYO). I loved using ANATTY last year with my kids. Love love loved. I still felt like I had a hard time piecing in IB requirements to ANATTY and was spending time trying to figure out how to all the Criterion and pepper in the ATLs etc. And then, Stepping Stones came out.

Stepping Stones is really designed so that any teacher can "angle" anything they want or need to teach inside of these instructional frameworks that she calls "Cycles". Each cycle consists of 4 phases, each of which builds upon the last one to create more advanced connections to the content. She wrote this book ideally for any student in Spanish 2 or beyond but the beautiful thing about it is that she includes what she calls "Ketchup Cycles" (Catch-up cycles) that can be used in Spanish 1! Then once you have  made your way through the 2 Ketchup Cycles, you can start with the first cycle at the beginning of the book!

Creating an "angle" allows us as teachers to easily shift the academic goals of the cycle to meet any of the IB Criteria or towards a specific Approach to Learning, Key Concept, Related Concept or MYP/DP Objective without, truly, that much prep beforehand. It also allows our students voice and choice into the classroom fairly easily.

I am almost 75% done reading this 500 page book but I can't stop reading and just had to write about it before I finished. Look for an upcoming post that has a lesson plan for Phase 1 of the Description Ketchup Cycle that I will be using on Day 1 of Spanish 1 of the 2019-2020 school year... It's less than a month away! 😱

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Planning out week 1

Second Language Acquisition Lesson

Week 3 sub plan ideas