The weekly packet

In my last post I mentioned that I took Jon Cowart's CI Classroom Management class and it was so unbelievably informative. If you have the opportunity to take it, please do!*


One thing that Jon talked about was his use of a weekly packet that he uses to help manage his classroom. It gives the students a place to draw, write new vocabulary, and do their write and discuss and exit tickets. On the link I posted, he goes into a lot of detail about how he uses this packet every day.

I am going to make 500 copies at the beginning of the year and just keep them tucked away and pull them out as needed. Jon also mentioned that if a student loses their packet that they need to complete an extra assignment (I am going to use these from Martina Bex) that the student has to complete before they get another copy of the packet. I love this! Anything to keep student's responsibility high! Students will pick up this packet on Monday and then turn it in on Friday as they walk out of class.

Using Jon's packet as a base, I added some extra information for Música miércoles which is a fun warm-up that I stole from the Mis Clases Locas blog. I love using this as a warmup. The students write down the title, the artist and then I will give them a little bit of additional information, like the country of origin or a translation of the title. We will watch the video as our warm up and voilà! I don't usually do a long extension activity with our Música Miércoles and that is just a personal preference. I use it to get the kids exposed to lots of different music genres and styles as well as countries and artists.


Here is a link to my own take on the daily packet. I am going to use the daily packet as a weekly formative grade for my kids. This weekly packet (and needing to keep track of it) practices self-management/organization part of IB's Approaches to Learning; something my freshman desperately need practice in!

Do you do anything similar to a weekly packet? What are your thoughts on this idea; Does it interest you or not really? Let me know in the comments!

*I would like to mention that I don't get paid to say this, it's just a genuine admiration for what he taught me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Planning out week 1

Second Language Acquisition Lesson

Week 3 sub plan ideas