Timed Writes and Criterion D

I have two more weeks before the school year starts so I am really trying to nail down my "bag of tricks" before September 3rd. One thing I have been working on this week are my Criterion D Rubric that I am going to use for timed writes.

The way my class is set up, I use every other Friday for 2 specific tasks. Friday A is the Word Chunk Team Game which you can read a description of on this handout by Ben Slavic . The Friday B will be reserved for Free Writes. For each class, they are going to have to use specific vocabulary that we have learned in their Free Writes, underlining each use so that I don't have to spend all of my time searching for the key vocabulary.

Truly, most of the time, I am only going to be collecting data in terms of how many words they write. I won't use this rubric every single Free Write. It is too much. But, I will use it probably two times a quarter so that they can get that IB feedback that is required by my school and IB itself.

I also don't plan on grading these Free Writes as a formative assessment. I may change my mind on this but I want this just to be something that the kids do and chart their growth. But, that may change if they aren't taking it seriously or something (because let's be real: Freshmen in high school aren't always the most serious bunch of bananas you ever met).

On to the Criterion D Rubric!

For each of the strands, I tried to break down exactly what  I am looking for in each aspect of this task: i) they use the required vocabulary accurately and then go above and beyond to include other vocabulary that was not required but was covered in class. ii) Any grammar that had been presented during the past 2 weeks is used accurately* and iii) language is clear.

* The caveat of this strand is that we really try not to be Grammar Jerks in the CI world. That being said, the IB is a tough grader when it comes to grammar. The IB Spanish test grammar portion is no joke. I have seen some of the tests and I would be hard pressed to get an 8 but....I digress.... The IB rarely gives a 7 or an 8 so, in this context,  I think it's OK to be a stickler as long as you're not shoving all of your grammar knowledge in their faces every chance you get. If they pick it up and use it accurately they should be rewarded for it! If not, a B is gonna happen every once-in-a-while.

That's the Crit. D Rubric I am going to use for my Free Writes! Any changes you would make? Let me know in the comments!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Planning out week 1

Second Language Acquisition Lesson

Week 3 sub plan ideas