Time flies when you're having fun!

Ahh, yes, I knew this was going to happen. School started and I put my blog by the wayside because, well, life!

That being said, last night I got to meet and hang out with the real life Tina Hargaden! It was so cool, y'all. We talked about our lives and Stepping Stones and it was so awesome to meet her and spend time with her, Kaitlin Leppert at Sara Schreiner's beautiful home! It was so fun.

It also reinvigorated my want to share what I have been doing in class because it reminded me that what I am doing might be valuable to others and so I want to share!


Right now I am in Phase 2 of Stepping Stones and we are working on Narration. My favorite lesson so far has been about a student, when he was in kindergarten, rounded up a group of other kids and trapped a girl on top of a rock wall because she was touching everybody's butts. The students were crying laughing because it was just so ridiculous! We learned new vocabulary like rock wall and trapped while really focusing on things like estaba (s/he/it was) , pensó (s/he thought) and hubo (there was/were).

The moral of the story was: ¡No seas irritante! Don't be annoying!

We also discussed the life of Selena Quintanilla. This was a great story to tell because the kids are familiar with her or have seen the movie and it is so intriguing. I drew up little pictures and I discussed her life for Guided Oral Input. As I talked about it, I had the students fill out a story mountain. then we created a story mountain. Then, instead of doing a normal write and discuss, we all went through the story mountain together and it ended up looking like this...



These graphic organizers are saving my life! The kids are taking great notes and it keeps them focused during GOI because they have a task to complete. 

If you want to use my pictures about Selena, they are available on my Teachers Pay Teachers site for $1! They're really simple but easy to use if you don't feel like doing your own drawing. I also have explanations for what I said for each picture. 

If you are in an IB school, like me, you know we Phase specific language acquisition objectives. My Spanish 1 students are in Phase 1 because (supposedly) they have never taken Spanish before. 

In IB MYP Phase 1 for Language Acquisition, my students are doing all of these things IN ONE LESSON! 

  • Criterion A: Comprehending spoken and visual text
    • i. identify basic facts, messages, main ideas and supporting details in everyday situations
    • ii. recognize basic conventions
    • iii. engage with the spoken and visual text by identifying ideas, opinions and attitudes and by making a personal response to the text
  • Criterion B: : Comprehending written and visual text
    • i. identify basic facts, messages, main ideas and supporting details
  • Criterion C: Communicating in response to spoken and/or written and/or visual text
    • ii. interact in simple and rehearsed exchanges, using verbal and non-verbal language
    • iii. use basic phrases to communicate ideas, feelings and information on a variety of aspects of everyday topics
  • Criterion D: Using language in spoken and/or written form 
    • iii. use language to suit the context.
So, when you have to assess them using the IB rubrics, they should knock it out of the park because they are being prepared in all of the Criterion in one class lesson. 

Hope you all are having a beautiful, stress-free weekend! 

Hasta pronto, 

Señora K 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 3 sub plan ideas

Planning out week 1

Second Language Acquisition Lesson