Week 1 and Syllabus

Wow! My first week back just flew by. I can't believe I already have 4 days under my belt. The days went by so quickly and my stress level was surprisingly low. I am in my 6th year of teaching and I honestly feel like I am starting to get into my groove. And now that I'm using Stepping Stones by Tina Hargaden, I feel like my prep load is way lower than it ever has been and I'm loving it!!

On Friday, I briefly went over my syllabus for my MYP Spanish 1 class. If you are using Stepping stones, this is how I laid out my Units of study and the Global contexts:


Unit 1: Description - Describing people and setting

Global Context: Identities and Relationships

Grammar focus: Internal and external characteristics, preferences, personality, setting including weather and sensory details about the setting.



Unit 2: Narration - Narrating personal stories

Global Context: Personal and cultural expression

Grammar focus: Dialogue and inner thinking


Unit 3: Description within Narration

Global Context: Personal and cultural expression

Grammar focus: Creating texts with focus on narration and description



Unit 4: Description within Narration in the past and historical biographies

Global Context: Orientation in Space and Time

Grammar focus: Physical and internal descriptions of people in the past



Unit 5: Informational writing

Global Context: Personal and cultural expression

Grammar focus: Historical information, current issues, geography and cultural information.



Unit 6: Opinion Writing

Global Context: Personal and cultural expression

Grammar focus: Nonfiction themes and current issues about which a person has a personal opinion



Unit 7: Creative writing and Creating a book project
Global Context: Personal and cultural expression 

Grammar focus: Complete review of all grammar and vocabulary


Flex Unit: Agentes secretos y el mural de Picasso

Global Context: Orientation in Space and Time

Grammar focus: Art terms, Spain, symbolism

On Friday, I also did a lesson about Second Language Acquisition that ended with students creating a meme that expressed the difference between learning and acquiring a language and the results were hilarious. I'll talk about my lesson plan for that on my next post!




I just wanted to share my Units of Study and how I connected them to IB's global contexts. I hope this is of use to you!




Hasta pronto,




Señora K

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Second Language Acquisition Lesson

Week 3 sub plan ideas

Planning out week 1