Week 3 sub plan ideas

Okay. It happened. I was JUST getting into my groove with my daily framework and Stepping Stones and my daycare lady got sick and said she couldn't watch our baby on Friday. I was already in the car on my way to pick up the babe and was in full panic mode. My mom couldn't watch her, neither could my sister and my husband had a very important grilling thing he "had to do at work" ... that's a whole different story. So it just came down to me having to take a day off and I was not ready.

As I picked up the baby I was trying to come up with a game plan and remembered Mike Peto's  awesome post about creating beginner level texts with your beginners using comic strips.  So off we went and made the full loop back to school to get one of my write and discuss notebooks.

This sub plan took me less than 15 minutes to complete. I opened up the editable comic strip, typed 5 days worth of write and discuss (focusing only on weather) in each of the boxes and told my sub that the kids needed to draw out each of the days. I also included Friday (the day I was gone) and included the weather of that day for them to include in their little pamphlets.




The only thing I will say is that formatting was a little bit of a challenge because I had to flip one of the pages upside down for it to print correctly. So first I saved my Google doc as a PDF and then opened it up in Preview so that I could flip the page easily. Here is how you do flip a single PDF page using Preview on a MacBook... 




Then print double-sided and you have a little comic/pamphlet book! 

If you are out for a day, don't feel guilty and do NOT spend tons of time on your lesson plans. Sorry not sorry. The kids that will do what you ask, will do it regardless and then the ones who don't you can just deal with when you come back. 

I can't wait to see the results! I will take the 15 most well done and include them in my FVR library so that kids have novice, easily understandable texts to choose from! 

Hope you enjoy this easy, low-stress way to prepare for a sub! You could even let them have more freedom with this as the year goes on but for now, structure and specifics are your best friend. 

Hasta pronto, 

Señora K 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Second Language Acquisition Lesson

Planning out week 1